The purpose of this class is both scientific and crafty.
Families, both kids and adults will work with cardboard and coloured pens or pencils to make their own gas molecule using easy to find craft tools and upcycled materials found at home.
We will be using the slot technique to make a 3D stand alone model of a molecule! This technique can also be used to make free standing models of animals, people and objects. Through doing this fun craft activity whānau will learn:
- what the greenhouse gases are
- what causes the gases to be released into the environment
- how good gases can be released as a solution
- how each child and adult can do their small bit each and every day
We will have some fun thinking of sources of gases and emissions (this will involve some discussion about farting animals) and some really cool ways that Kiwis are coming up with solutions to this problem. The session will end with a brainstorm about things we all can do to reduce the release of these gases.
Materials needed on hand for the workshop:
- coloured pencils, pens or crayons
- a cup, small side plate or round container to use as a template to draw circles on the card and then cut out
- thin cardboard - enough to cut 3 circles using the cup/small side plate/round container as a template. Cereal packets are a great thickness for this activity.
Come and join The Recreators to learn and have fun.